Hours: Summer (May 16 - September 1)
|Monday-Friday||9:00am to 4:45pm|
Closed holidays: May 25, July 4
Kohler Art Library Home
- Social Conscience: The Work of Maureen Cummins is the library's current exhibition, on view from March 15 to June 30, 2015. Cummins has produced over 30 limited edition books that tackle social justice issues: women's rights, race relations, human oppression and torture, poverty, identity, and mental illness.
Maureen Cummins will be welcomed to campus as the University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries hosts its first Annual Bernstein Book Arts Lecture. Cummins will present Artist as Archivist: The Work of Maureen Cummins, on March 19, 2015 at 11:30 am in room 126, Memorial Library. The public lecture is funded by the Leonora G. Bernstein Artists’ Book Endowment and sponsored by the Kohler Art Library.
- Digital Collection: Dominy Craftsmen Collection provides archival documents (and more) relating to an American Colonial craft shop.
- Digital Collection: Chazen (Elvehjem) Museum of Art Publications provides full text online of over 50 exhibition catalogs from the years 1970-2000.
- Find summer ducks, summerhouses, and summer flowers, along with a wealth of information on material culture, in the Digital Library for the Decorative Arts and Material Culture.
- The film, The Monuments Men, was inspired by wartime experiences of those who sought to protect cultural treasures during World War II. See a guide to additional reading on: Art looting, destruction, and protection during World War II.
- See our guide if you need help in Identifying Period Styles (for architecture and interiors)
- Fifteen Japanese illustrated books from the late Edo period are available for viewing online within the Arts Collection created by the UW Digital Collections Center. The Japanese books are owned by Kohler Art Library.
- Kohler Art Library books are included in the full text Google Book Project. Approximately 6,000 books were digitized to expand access to these important art-related historical materials.
- Interested in the book arts? See the library's Artists’ Book Collection database, an illustrated, descriptive index to over 760 artists’ books located in the Kohler Art Library. Users can search by artist, title, press, book structure, binding, subject, or contributor roles.